Announcements

MY CHILDREN'S BOOKS, "HI, GOD" AND "FOUR LUCKY LEAVES" ARE AVAILABLE NOW! CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO!

When did childhood become so controversial? Check out my latest post, "Hello, Connectivity; Goodbye, Childhood" on the Tampa Bay Moms Blog!

Monday, August 19, 2013

Hey, Mom. I See You Dancing in Your Car.

There are few no-judgment zones in this world. I like to think the inside of my car is one of them. I'm sure I'm wrong and, in fact, can only imagine the number of drivers who constantly judge my front seat off-key karaoke concerts. But the great thing about believing the inside of my car is a no-judgment zone is that I don't care that I'm wrong.


Who wouldn't play the fool just to see this little grin?
I think it's important that all moms feel this way and, really, at least a good percentage of them must. Otherwise, I would be the only parent putting my right arm in and shaking it all about in my seat. I've seen you do this, too. Red lights are everywhere. (Although if you're doing this when your kids aren't in the car, we may need to have a separate talk about that.)

Flailing my hands around and wiggling my butt mid-commute carries its own perks. Am I waving at the driver in front of me? Watching him try to figure it out is always fun. Unfortunately, he doesn't see his sedan as the no-holds-barred safety zone that I do. That's why his arm raises slightly in a daring attempt to return the wave and then drops suddenly as gumption fades into uncertainty. After all, if I'm not waving at him, he doesn't want to look like a fool. No, no, driver. We wouldn't want that.

It occurs to me that the writers of many classic kids' songs had more than childish entertainment in mind when creating accompanying gestures. If not for the potential for parental foolhardiness, why else would there be so much clapping, stomping, and barking? Luckily, I don't shy away from a little embarrassment.


That's odd. It seems none of my potentially embarrassing photos will load properly. Oh, well.
The point is (yes, I was eventually making my way to a point), most parents will do just about anything to get a giggle out of their child. If it means I have to march in place (challenging while driving) so my daughter can see "Father Abraham" come to life, so be it. Every time my hand smacks the window during "Deep and Wide" I'm reminded that nothing is more rewarding than that tiny laugh from the backseat. Besides, there's no substitute for the pride I feel each time Bailey does the hand motions for "The Wheels on the Bus". Just be sure you're practicing safe driving during all live performances.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great way to spend otherwise grueling traffic backups. What fun to sing and dance in the car while your little one cracks up at you, then joins in!! How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Thanks! My favorite part is when she joins in with a tiny word from the backseat!

      Delete